Can a cracked windshield collapse? Knowing how to take care of your windshield is one of the most important aspects of car maintenance. A windshield obviously protects you from debris, but it also aids in holding your car together in times of impact. Cracks and chips in the windshield can cause the car to collapse without this support. Here are 6 tips to help keep yourself safe and properly maintain your windshield.
- Maintain wipers: Windshield wipers are actually one the biggest contributors to windshield damage if not maintained properly. Good quality wipers are a necessity. Also, it helps to occasionally clean the actual blades with a rag dipped in wiper fluid. Low windshield wiper fluid, poor wipers, or even dirty wipers can easily contribute to scratches and damage to the surface of your windshield.
- Avoid the sun: Parking in direct sunlight is going to shorten the lifespan of your windshield. When possible, try to park in shaded cool places. If this isn’t an option, put up a windshield sun shade to protect your windows.
- Snow and ice:It is important to remove frost, snow, and ice as soon as possible. These elements greatly damage and weaken your windshield. Turn on your cars defroster and use a snow brush or ice scraper. Be gentle with the ice scraper as it too can damage the windshield.
- Slamming doors: It’s a bad habit that a lot of us do. When you a slam door, it sends intense vibrations through your windshields. Any small cracks or dings will slowly grow each time this happens.
- Repair chips or cracks immediately: Debris, rocks, or even pebbles can cause small dings or cracks in your windshield. Though they don’t seem like much now, it is imperative to get these fixed. If the problem is caught in time, these can be a simple inexpensive fix and a windshield replacement is not needed. If not these cracks and dings will grow, greatly weakening the strength of your windshield and putting you in a dangerous and expensive situation. It is advised to get regularly check ups for your windshield at any auto shop.
- Avoid glass cleaners with ammonia: This step is especially important if you have tinted windows. The ammonia can eat away at it. Ammonia based cleaners are also very dangerous to inhale. Occasionally wiping your windows down with vinegar or alcohol is sufficient. Use a cotton or micro-fiber towel for the wipe them down. They are very absorbent and aren’t going to leave streaks or dust particles to clean up after.
Additionally, the windshield serves as support for the roof. This is especially important the event of a rollover. If the windshield is improperly installed, the roof may collapse during a rollover. This could lead to further injuries for the passengers in the car, as they may get crushed by the force on the roof.
When your windshield is installed improperly, you may have a difficult time figuring out who is responsible, especially if you bought your car used. An incorrect installation could be a manufacturing defect, placing the blame on your automobile’s manufacturer. If your windshield was replaced at any time while you or someone else had the car, whoever installed it may be liable for the incorrect installation. Therefore, it is important to know about the history of your car so that you can pinpoint where the source of certain problems are coming from.
So, can a cracked windshield collapse? Yes, a cracked windshield can ultimately get worn down and collapse if you ever are in an accident. That’s why it’s imperative to maintain your windshield properly and ensure that you’re taking all of the preventive measures to not have this happen. This article went over 6 tips that will help keep you safe and maintain your windshield.